Nineteen clubs will qualify automatically for the 2017/18 European Rugby Champions Cup in the following ways :.
• PRO12: The seven highest-ranked clubs based on their finishing positions in the league. The seven qualifiers must include at least one club from each of Ireland, Italy, Scotland and Wales.
• TOP 14: The six highest-ranked clubs based on their finishing positions in the league.
• Aviva Premiership: The six highest-ranked clubs based on their finishing positions in the league.
In accordance with the Heads of Agreement drawn up by the nine unions, federations and league bodies, the 20th place in the Champions Cup will be decided by a series of play-off matches.
The play-offs will include the following clubs:
19-21 May 2017
Play-off 1: Aviva Premiership v PRO12
Play-off 2: TOP 14 v PRO12
The PRO12 clubs' opponents to be decided by a draw
The Premiership and TOP 14 clubs will have home advantage
26-28 May 2017
Play-off Final: winner Play-off 1 v winner Play-off 2
Home advantage to be decided by a draw
The winner of the Play-off Final will take the 20th place in the 2017/18 Champions Cup
Clubs will qualify for the 2017/18 European Rugby Challenge Cup in the following ways:
• The remaining 18 clubs from the PRO12, TOP 14 and the Aviva Premiership which have not qualified for the Champions Cup.
• Two additional clubs will qualify from the Challenge Cup Qualifying Competition which features representatives from emerging countries and the Italian Eccellenza.